FAQ: Distribution components

What is the difference between a splitter and a tap?

A splitter, as the term implies, splits the signal into equal parts, showing the same attenuation on all of its outputs. It is used, therefore, to connect parts of the system that have a difference between 0 and 5 dB between them. The tap, vice versa, is used to connect parts of the system that have a difference >5 dB between them. It is characterized by a through-low loss output and a variable number, between one and four, of derived outputs. It is made with different attenuation values of the derived outputs.

What kind of splitters and taps should I use in a new-built system?

As shown in the Guide CEI 100-7, the splitters and the taps you have to use, as all system components, must be fully shielded to be immune to any noise present in the environments where they are installed.

Can I connect the TV directly to the connector headed on the cable?

No, because the CEI EN 60728-11 standards define TV and TV-SAT outlets as protection devices of the system itself and require their use.

Are the TV outlets available only with cable entry from bottom?

No, OFFEL outlets for receiving TV and SAT signals are available with cable entry from the bottom or side. Only TV-SAT demix models are available with cable entry only from bottom.
TV outlets OP series
SAT outlets OPF series
TV-SAT demix outlets OPS…DEM series